Guidelines for Second Year Baldwin Renewals
Recipients of Baldwin Fellowships may request a second-year renewal of their award unless the Baldwin Fellowship has been designated as a onetime award. Baldwin Fellows must notify the foundation of their intent to apply for a second year renewal by February 1st. This letter should be in .pdf format and sent via email to email@example.com. Second year applicants must submit the online application by March 1st. The online application will request that the following items are included:
- Progress Report from the Baldwin Fellow
- Accounting Statement for Leakey Foundation funds already expended (signed by Host Sponsor and Baldwin Fellow)
- A copy of the Baldwin Fellow’s current transcript (if registered for course work)
- A Progress Report/Letter of Evaluation from Host Sponsor
Conditions of Awards
The following reporting requirements are conditions of the Fellowship Agreement:
- Baldwin Fellow Progress Reports: Progress reports are required for multi-year Baldwin Fellowships and are to be submitted as part of the Renewal Application. Progress reports will determine the Baldwin Fellow’s eligibility, include an accounting of funds expended to date (which will be approved and signed by the Host Sponsor and the Baldwin Fellow), and include course work and grades to date. Formal transcripts must be sent to the Foundation at the end of each academic year. This progress report will be used to determine the Baldwin Fellow’s eligibility for continued support and is DUE MARCH 1ST.
- Host Sponsor Progress Reports: The Host Sponsor must provide the Foundation and the Home Institution/Sponsor with a progress report at the end of each year of the Baldwin Fellow’s training period. The report should address the Baldwin Fellow’s academic performance, progress in language ability (when applicable), and any other matters pertinent to the Baldwin Fellow’s ability to complete the course of training undertaken, as well as a realistic estimate of the time required to complete the training. This progress report will be used to determine the Baldwin Fellow’s eligibility for continued support and is DUE MARCH 1ST.
The final reports, transcript, and financial statements must be SUBMITTED WITHIN THREE MONTHS after the end of the study/training period as stated by the Baldwin Fellow on his/her application form.
- Fellow: Upon conclusion of the final year of the Baldwin Fellowship, the Baldwin Fellow must summarize his/her accomplishments in a final report (2-3 pages).
- Host Sponsor: At the end of the training period, the Host Sponsor must provide the Foundation with a final report on the Baldwin Fellow’s accomplishments. If the Baldwin Fellow requires additional training either to: 1) reach the initial goals of this Baldwin Fellowship Award or 2) to obtain more advanced training before returning to his/her Home Country, elaborate on this plan including sources of support and estimated time for completion.
- Transcript: A final transcript must be requested from the Host Institution by the Baldwin Fellow and a copy submitted to the Foundation.
- Financial: The Baldwin Fellow and Host Sponsor must make sure that the Host Institution submits an official signed accounting for the US dollar amount expended each year. This accounting is to be supplemented by a more detailed statement of expenditures by the Baldwin Fellow which is signed by both the Baldwin Fellow and the Host Sponsor.
- Upon the completion of the training, the Baldwin Fellow must provide a status report on further educational plans and/or a position taken in the Home Country. At the time of return to his/her Home Country, the Baldwin Fellow must provide the Foundation with a current address.
How to Contact Us
Paddy Moore, Grants Officer
H. Gregory, Grant Associate
The Leakey Foundation
1003B O’Reilly Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94129-0346
Telephone: (415) 561-4646
FAX: (415) 561-4647