Advanced doctoral students (advanced to candidacy – all but dissertation) and established scientists are eligible for Leakey Foundation Research Grants. There are no citizenship restrictions; however, all applications must be written in English.
The Leakey Foundation exclusively funds research related to human origins. Priority of funding is commonly given to exploratory phases of promising new research projects that meet the stated purpose of the Foundation. The majority of The Leakey Foundation’s Research Grants awarded to doctoral students are in the $3,000-$15,000 range. Larger grants given to senior scientists and post-doctoral researchers may be funded up to $25,000.
The deadlines for research grant applications are January 10th and July 15th. All submissions and resubmissions are due on this date.
Please consider the following if you are thinking of applying for a Leakey Foundation Research Grant:
- Is my research relevant to human origins and evolution?
- For PhD candidates: Will I be advanced to candidacy (all but dissertation) before the deadline for application?
- Am I affiliated with an academic or research institution?
- We do not award funds to individuals.
- Am I fully compliant on all prior Leakey Foundation awards?
How to Apply
Please use the detailed application instructions as well as the application guidelines and FAQs to prepare the attachments that you will upload to your new application. Then use the links on this page to apply online.
Click here to email our grants department at grants at leakeyfoundation dot org.