The Leakey Foundation seeks a highly motivated and experienced Communications Coordinator to join our nonprofit team. The ideal candidate will be an organized, creative, and collaborative team player with a passion for utilizing their skills to promote scientific literacy and education.
As a part of the communications department, this role supports the mission of The Leakey Foundation. The Communications Coordinator contributes to and helps implement a strategic communications plan to increase public understanding of human evolution and promote The Leakey Foundation and its educational and grant programs.
Located in San Francisco, The Leakey Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering excellent benefits and a competitive salary. This is a part-time position that reports to the Communications Director. The Communications Coordinator may work remotely.
If you are passionate about human evolution and interested in this position, please apply even if you don’t have every skill or qualification on the list below.
• Plan, create, curate, and schedule written and visual content that supports a multi-channel communications strategy designed to educate people about human evolution, engage and expand our audience, and promote the foundation’s educational programs, media projects, fundraising campaigns, and grant opportunities
• Work closely with the Communications Director to craft and implement an optimal social media posting schedule, considering audience engagement metrics
• Assist with the production of email newsletters for a variety of audiences, including targeted email outreach to promote programs
• Communicate respectfully and effectively with a variety of audiences using a brand voice that is knowledgeable, welcoming, and inclusive
• Maintain best practices and stay up to date with changes to all social platforms to ensure maximum effectiveness
• Write, curate, design, and schedule content, including social media posts, blog posts, email newsletters, events listings, and website updates
• Regularly monitor social media channels in collaboration with the Communications Director, responding to and communicating with followers
• Contribute to special communications projects as needed
• Proofread written materials for other staff members
• Participate in weekly staff meetings and communications department meetings
• Collaborative team player with strong written and verbal communication skills, solid interpersonal communication skills, and high attention to detail
• Thorough knowledge of social media platforms and digital marketing techniques with the ability to effectively use technology to achieve communication goals
• Two or more years of experience in the communications or marketing field with duties that include coordinating social media
Preferred skills and knowledge:
• Familiarity with and interest in human evolution and science communication
• Experience creating original content within an established brand and style guide
• Experience creating web content and familiarity with WordPress CMS
• Experience using Mailchimp to assemble and send newsletters
• Marketing knowledge and experience, including event marketing
• Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment, work independently, and set priorities
• Ability to establish and meet multiple deadlines and complete varied tasks
• Professional demeanor and team player
• Graphic design knowledge and the ability to create marketing graphics using Canva or Adobe Suite
• Proficiency with Google Suite – Docs, Calendar, Gmail, Sheets
• Proficiency with social media management tools such as Later and Hootsuite
Fill out the application form below and upload a resume or CV.