Preparing your Research Proposal Body
your proposal body must be submitted as a .PDF document. please click here for instructions on creating a .PDF document on your system.
- Black type. Please use Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica, or similar. Please do not use a cursive or novelty font.
- At least 12 point typeface (typeface this size or larger)
- At least 1/2 inch margins
- Do not attempt to squeeze more text onto a page by using smaller typefaces or margins.
- Smaller typefaces are allowed in the reference list only.
- Please do not staple individual attachment sections.
- CONTENT:Proposal Text:
Should not exceed six (6) pages of single spaced text.
Any proposal which exceeds the specified page limits will be returned to the applicant.
Be sure to include all of the following in your proposal in the order listed below:
- Concise statement of your research objectives, or the specific questions to be answered.
- Description of the importance of the research project to your specific field and to the study of human origins. What is the relationship of your research to the mission of the Leakey Foundation?
- Brief history of attempts to answer the same or related questions by other researchers.
- Detailed explanation of the information needed to answer the research question(s) and your methods (how you plan to gather this information).
- Profile of your past experience using any specialized skills or analysis techniques required by your methodology.
- Statement outlining any preliminary or pilot research you have conducted that is directly related to the project, and a detailed account of the results.
- Summary of any broader implications and your future goals relevant to proposed research.
- Brief description of your schedule for data collection, analysis, and report.
- REFERENCES/BIBLIOGRAPHY:Should be included in a separate .pdf document. Please click here to view instructions.
- APPENDIX:Should not exceed two (2) pages.
Your appendix should be aimed at experts in your field in order to clarify the methods or the specific study sample described in your research proposal text in more detail. This additional information might include a specific list of data to be collected, measurements to be taken, or museum specimens to be studied (their location, completeness, etc.).
If the research project includes a genetic component, but someone other than the applicant will be doing the genetic work, please include an appendix from the actual person who will be gathering the genetic data or doing the genetic analysis.
- FIGURES & TABLES:Should not exceed two (2) pages.
Figures and tables will be approved by the Foundation if they are essential to your proposal. (i.e., if they clarify methods, the specific sample being studied, or the results of previous pilot projects with more efficiency than would be possible in the text of your proposal.)
All applicants must use the following formatting instructions. Applications which do not comply with these instructions will not be accepted for review: