How to apply for Research Grants
Human origins research projects from PhDs and PhD Candidates (ABD) are eligible for Leakey Foundation Research Grants.
If you are thinking of applying for a General Research Grant ask yourself the following questions:
- Is my research directly relevant to human origins and evolution?
- Will I be advanced to candidacy before the deadline for application?(for Ph.D candidates)
- Am I affiliated with an academic or research institution (we do not award funds to individuals)
- Am I fully compliant on all prior Leakey Foundation awards?
If you answer “Yes” to all of the above questions, you are likely eligible for a Leakey Foundation General Grant.
If you answer “No” or “Maybe” to question #4, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org to see how you may become compliant.
How to Apply
We now only accept Research Grants applications submitted through our website.
We have four separate applications. Please choose the link below that best describes your academic status and proposal:
- I have a PhD and I am submitting a NEW application.
- I have a PhD and I am RESUBMITTING a previous application with changes.
- I am a PhD Candidate and I am submitting a NEW application.
- I am a PhD Candidate and I am RESUBMITTING a previous application with changes.
Contact the Foundation office to make sure you have the most up-to-date information. Applications will only be accepted in English.
We have two deadlines for applications per year:
|January 5th||May 15th||Spring|
|July 15th||December 15th||Fall|
Any applications received after a deadline will be considered in the following cycle.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you haven’t received your notification via the email address listed on your application by June 1st (Spring cycle) or December 20th (Fall cycle).
The Finer Points
Please use the checklist available here (PDF) to prepare materials and check your application.
Please check our list of helpful tips available here (PDF) to maximize your chances of funding.This document was compiled by our grants staff, and attempts to compile the most successful strategies used by previous applicants. It’s well worth reading.
Please see How/Where to apply for Baldwin Fellowships.